Friday, September 2, 2011

Fly Boys

Yesterday as we were coming home from the city, one of our local Heliworx chopper's was in operation.
Climbing up towards me to
start another run.
Urea Spreading I think.  The Robinson R44 was certainly getting the work done.
I took this series using Resolution Priority @ 16mp, in 16:9 and 4:3 formats, using the highest quality for both settings. Ev was generally 0.00 with a little negative Ev when looking sun-ward.

The view west of my shooting location.

To give you an idea of the scale of things I have added three photos showing the surrounds as well as some of the operations going on. The rest can be seen in my online albums Here.


Looking back towards home from
the back of my van.
Home is the upper house about 500
metres from where I was standing.






The view East of my location
Centre frame is the fertilizer truck


Exif data is viewable in the album pages as usual.








As you can see from the image at right I was a good way off the action, well in excess of half a kilometer.
Filler Up Boss

This is where the lens of the big Fuji comes into its own. While I'm sure a good 300mm lens on a DSLR would provide a good image, I'm not wanting to crop these types of images just to get a better view as this tends to remove a lot of the photo that adds context, to what the shot is about and what the photographer was intending to portray. 


Heading home at the end of the day
In this case I wanted to show a method of flying that very few get to see and in what sort of environment this was taking place. To add a feeling of expanse to the view I used the 16:9 format and for a more intimate look at what was going on, but keeping as much context as possible, I would switch to 4:3.
Hopefully this then provides the viewer with an image that has context, and a window into the not often viewed world of rolling & hill country farming here in N.Z.
Plus of course the boy in me just thought it was a very cool thing too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment